Saturday 11 June 2011

Sure, there were thoughts


Friday came and went without much of a problem alcohol-wise. Sure, there were thoughts passing through my little mind, thoughts like "Oh, wouldn't mind a pint!!!" or "Just have time to pop in for a large one before the bus leaves." but they weren't that difficult to deal with.


These thoughts will last a while yet but they'll get smaller and smaller. That is what happened when I was off the drink for over a year, it got easier and easier as time passed.


But I made a mistake then, I had a small dramn to celebrate my time off the drink and that was followed by a large one, and maybe a pint and another large one and the story goes on.


Now, I'm a bit further up the learning curve, I'm very aware of the mistakes that have been made and am determined not to make them again. In all honesty, I'm a bit annoyed with myself, annoyed that it went down the pan in the manner that it did, you know, straight back to the old ways - albeit off and on - but still, a return to the old road to hell.


So, the answer to this lesson is simple. I cannot allow myself to forget that I am an alcoholic and always will be - so remember - stick to the soft drinks, the teas and the coffees - they do me no harm.


I am an alcoholic, I do not drink alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment